November 24, 2009

Stop & Think: Holiday Edition

It's funny; the students in Chatterbox's school are participating in the "Stop and Think Social Skills Program" which teaches kids interpersonal, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills (and I could think of an adult or two who could benefit from this exercise). Anyway, each week they focus on a different topic - from "listening" to "teasing" to "being brave." Stop and Think day is once a week and I dare say that I had mine on Sunday.

I carted the three kids to a children's holiday event for a group that I am a member of. The event started at 9am (on a Sunday). By the time we got to the place and parked, it was already 9:45am. So then we were rushing to make sure that the kids were able to decorate the cupcakes, color the pictures, listen to the performer, and watch the magic show before it all ended. The holiday event was supposed to be even more exciting because there were vendors selling all sorts of fun, luxurious, yummy and stylish items so that folks could do some holiday shopping. I invited my sister along for this very reason. And she did enjoy herself.

It was only by the time we got to Aisle No. 3 of the collection of shops that I realized I needed to Stop and Think. The girls were all sugared up on cupcakes and were running amuck. Touching expensive pearl bracelets on display and stabbing each other (and anyone in striking distance) with their balloon swords. L'il Buddy was not in a good mood. He didn't want to be in the stroller, he didn't want to be picked up, he didn't want to eat a snack, he didn't even want a balloon sword - nothing. The only thing he wanted to do was holler and scream and wriggle and throw. It was then, in Aisle No. 3, that I stopped and thought to myself: "Fergie, this is not keeping the holidays simple."

Why did I subject myself to a 9am event, 40 mins. away from home, without bringing along Hubby? I basically asked for trouble.

And so, I am pleased that it is not too late for me. Thanksgiving is a couple days away and I can still salvage my sanity this holiday season. In fact, I will have no choice but to relax and slow down when Hubby and I leave for our spa vacation on Thursday. Yep, that's right! Grandma is coming to town to take care of the kiddies. And clearly she already had her Stop and Think moment: the first thing she said was: "Turkey? Who wants to cook a turkey? Let's order one!"

Mama does know best.

And you know who also has her mind right? Simple Mom. She has a checklist for 12 Weeks to a Peaceful Christmas. Don't worry that Christmas is less than 12 weeks away - you can still jump in now at Week 5 and save yourself loads of drama and stress.





Stop. Think. Don't feel the need to trek the kids all over town for various holiday events. Order the turkey. Heck, order the pies too. It's all good.


post signature

6 comments:

www.JusticeJonesie.com/blog said...

Yes, very good advice. I am starting early this year because I'm not going to be stressed out over the birth of Jesus!

Lisa Pizza said...

That's right, I did have a lovely Sunday morning *grins*

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

This is good advice. Growing up, we had lasagna for Christmas dinner every year until my siblings and I were all in middle school. My mom refused to be stuck in the kitchen all day on Christmas while we enjoyed our toys. With the lasagna she could make it the day or two before and then pop it in the oven. Truth be told, we kids never had any idea we were missing out on a grand feast--that was just Christmas. We parents of little ones need to keep that in mind more often!

Peter and Nancy said...

Your mom is a wise woman. :o) I hate handling the turkey! But I like making my own pies, so I'm keeping that. (My crust is by Pillbury, in the cooler section!)
Happy Thanksgiving!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Dear Author www.mamalaw.com !
Absolutely with you it agree. In it something is also to me it seems it is excellent idea. I agree with you.

Anonymous said...

I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
And you et an account on Twitter?

Related Posts with Thumbnails