May 07, 2009

Who's Your Daddy?


I had a chance to watch Oprah's interview with Mrs. Edwards yesterday and found myself feeling even more sympathetic for Mrs. Edwards than before. The interview centered around John's affair and like only Oprah can gracefully do, she asked many tough questions about John's "indiscretion(s)."

I was really surprised at Mrs. Edward's take on the entire affair. She seemed very defensive of her husband, saying that despite [the affair] she has a perfect husband. She even went as far as saying that she felt like she had to protect John. But what really stood out to me dealt with the allegations that John may have fathered his mistress's baby. They still don't know. John has not taken a paternity test (or at least, that's what they are saying), and even more surprising to me, Mrs. Edwards said that even if the child was determined to be John's, it would not change her life. It would make no difference to her.

How unfair is that to the child? It just complelty turned me off. If John is the father, he needs to step up to the plate and take care of his child. Presidential nominee or not, he could potentially be a deadbeat dad. I have so many more things to say about this but it's so late (or early) and tomorrow is going to be a crazy day (as usual).

What are your thoughts on this? Did you see the show?

post signature

8 comments:

Sally's World said...

oh god...i haven' heard this, we tend to be a tad behind, i'll look it up though...to be honest, i don't think this is being a strong woman, or good wife, i think its burying your head in the sand....why should she not expect him to be honest and faithful....no respect for his wife or marriage then!

as for this child...oh dear

great post!

Jennifer said...

I have it on my DVR, I haven't watched it yet. After seeing snippets of the interview and hearing a little bit about it, I don't know if I want to watch it. It's so sad! Ugh, the stupid things people do. And to know there's a little innocent baby involved? Just shameful.

3XMom said...

i felt the SAME thing! How could they not know. What the ()*#$(*&#$

Tea said...

I saw yesterday's show and that wasn't the take I got from it. They don't know(supposedly) because the mistress refuses to give him a paternity test. Do I think it's his, possibly...but she was sleeping with someone else ALSO at the time.

Do I think Mrs. Edwards is being a good wife, unlike Sally yes...and it takes alot of strength to battle cancer and find out that your husband is cheating and keep on moving.

They have over 20 years of marriage, this was one indiscretion...is she supposed to pack up her kids and walk away? This is the worse part of the "for better or worse"...and after a public humiliation like this I don't think that John will be stepping out again.

Hell she even wrote about it, and put him on front street...trust me, he's getting his. Also I don't think that he would be a deadbeat dad either, I don't think she would let him.

Alicia said...

I think that they do need to get a test taken ASAP. What I don't think Mrs. Edwards realizes is that as much as she tells the world that it is not going to affect her life either way. It, in fact does. Not knowing is only prolonging her healing process. They all are being irresponsible by not finding out who the father of this child is.

I tell you one thing however, I am still upset that Oprah was in Chapel Hill and did not call me.....

Tara said...

I've been watching/reading about this whole affair and it just makes me sad. I do have a lot of respect for Mrs. Edwards because it takes a lot of courage to go through something so private on the national stage ALSO while dealing with cancer. Wow.

I honestly don't think we need to be all in HER business, questioning her opinions and choices. Where is John? Why does he get to sit on the sidelines and let his wife take the heat? I know they are married, but if my husband cheated on me - Don't ask me any questions! Talk to him! He's the mofo that can't keep it in his pants.

Anonymous said...

I saw the show and I hate to say it but Mrs Edwards had a stepford wife mentality. I understand wanting to keep your marriage together, but as responsible adults when you mess up, you have to step up. Neither Mrs nor Mr Edwards are stepping up to the plate for the benefit of this innocent baby. I think 'not knowing' is just easier for them. If they knew for sure they would have to show some responsibility. Kinda shameful if you ask me.

My heart did ache for her do to her terminal cancer and not seeing her youngest grow into adults.

Peter and Nancy said...

I read excerpts from her upcoming book in Newsweek, and she said many of the same things. I do believe there can be real healing after an affair, if the spouse who strayed is repentent and allows him/herself to be held accountable for a LONG time to rebuild trust. I don't know what's gone on in their private lives -- but I am disappointed that a man who had so much integrity in fighting poverty, etc. had so little respect for his wife and family.
-- Nancy

Related Posts with Thumbnails