March 30, 2010

Aging gracefully or not.

About 3-4 weeks ago I realized that I'm starting to age. Although I'm going to be 36 in a couple of months and have had gray hair for a few years now, the thought of aging has never actually scared me. I figured it would happen and I would do it gracefully. After all, age is just a number and it's all about how you handle it.

Maybe vanity got the better of me, but I looked in the mirror and my eyes - my eyes!!!!! Suddenly, the circles were darker than I had ever recalled, there were fine lines and then these marks appeared near my eyes. What were they? I still don't know! They look like small burns under my eyes. Then one side of my face, near my eyes also, is suddenly much darker than before. It seems like my skin is changing color and the texture is not as smooth as it once was. All the while I'm still battling adult acne. Sheeeesh!!!!!

Am I alarmed? Yes!!!!!

I turned to Twitter in search of advice about under eye concealers. I got some good tips from Brittany at clumpsofmascara.com in terms of products worth trying, but also a simple reminder that I needed to get some sleep and rest a little. I heeded her advice and got some good rest, but I also headed to the store in search of something that may help. I got a concealer and I'm not really happy with it - maybe because I don't quite know how to apply "fancy makeup" (i.e. anything other than lipstick and some basic foundation). So back to the store I will go because it doesn't make sense that I spent about $100 in products and I still feel like I look like a raccoon.

Rather than continue in this state of flux, I have an appointment to see a dermatologist in the morning. I'll keep you posted.

Are you experiencing these "adult" issues too?


17 comments:

www.JusticeJonesie.com/blog said...

Not much advice on the dark circles but I have wrinkles. I realized this a few weeks ago and I didn't get mad, I got even! I started using anti-aging products to avoid more wrinkles. Must prevent, act early. I wanted to kick myself for not using them sooner. Prevention is the #1 defense to wrinkles.

Good luck tomorrow!

Radical Selfie said...

I went through the same thing about three months ago when I looked at a picture of myself online! I gasped and immediately ran to my husband to ask whether my eyes really looked like that! After he confirmed my suspicion, I immediately demanded he develop a Photoshop app that could be transferred into my I-Iman concealer to cover up the madness below my eyes! To date, he has not complied, but I've grown accustomed to the dark circles and smile anyway :)

Parental Revelations said...

Thank you ladies for reminding me to take care of myself! You are correct that prevention is the best policy. And as a mother like you all know we get consumed with our children and forget about ourselves.

Ouidad Blog said...

It's hard when we start to look our age ... and our age is "not so young" anymore! For a while I was plucking my gray hairs, but then found that they're coming in more and more rapidly. Eek. I now have a standing hair appointment and feel much better!
-Deb for Ouidad

Marcia said...

I am in my early 40s..and while I am living life like it's Golden...under eye bags and dark circles plague me. I used to wear glasses (prior to Lasik surgery) so they were hidden...NOW I am more concious. I have used a variety of de-puffing products..none seem to work except a sample I got that was from Neiman Marcus--and to buy a small size jar is like $200...not going to happen....I also realize that getting enough rest helps as well...(that doesn't always happen) Anyway--I use concealer and always wear eye make-up. Overall I think we are more critical of ourselves than others...However, I'm now on a quest to find a perfect blend of anti-aging moisturizer and eye cream....Good luck...keep us posted.

Robby said...

True! age is only number. It is how you handle and taking care of your self..great advice to all moms!

Windshield Replacement MN said...

Life begin at 40 years old.Age doesn't matter.

WordPress Tutorials said...

Many says Life begins at 40.Smile everyday it keeps us to stay young.

http://wordpressseotips.net

Hostel Rome said...

Truly they say is,
Life begins at 40. And it is in our own hands to believe that we are aging or not.

Nice post, it is worth sharing.

Auto Glass MN said...

Gracefully by how you handle it. You'll be as young as you are if you manage to take care of your body and your health. A good sign of an ageless face and body.

New Online Incomes said...

Only age can be old but not the heart! Live life to the fullest!

ostello firenze said...

nice post,thank you for sharing.

Home Cash Access said...

I totally agree with each and everyone's view, very natural and helpful. Well, we may age physically but our hearts stay graceful as well as everyone's attitude. Aging is not the important matter. Well, this post was very nice.

Yarra Valley Weddings said...

Well for me, it doesn't matter if I aged. As long as I live happy and positive, I will never feel that I'm getting older. =)

Electronic Cigarette said...

It is just a matter of taking care of yourself. If you do take care of your physical, mental and social health then aging will never disturb you, you may increase your age but it will never reflect at your face and the way you bring yourself.

Lean Muscle X said...

Truly they say is,
Life begins at 40. Stay happy. A good sign of an ageless face and body.

Minnesota SEO said...

It’s apparent you are dedicated to excellent writing. I truly related to the main points mentioned in this writing. This is really great original information...I agree Life begins at 40.

Related Posts with Thumbnails