January 22, 2010

Helping


The devastation in Haiti has been ever present on my mind. Maybe it's the images on television, maybe it's because it's in the West Indies and it's so close to home, maybe it's because I feel like I see my people in those images, or maybe it's because I have friends that have been directly affected - I'm not quite sure which it is, but I find my heart overfilled with so much sorrow.

I hope that there are many other people out there that feel the same way and do something about it. My deepest hope is that this devastation brings help to equalize the inequities that have persisted in that country for so long despite great growth around it.

That said, I gave blood yesterday. I have only given blood once in my life and yesterday I bravely faced my fear and gave a pint to the American Red Cross. I was told that I saved three lives with my pint.

Also, this week the Mamalaw ladies made a contribution of $0.25 for every Twitter follower we had. We made our contribution to Project Medishare, a group that has been present in Haiti for years and one that J. Fergie's mom has been volunteering with for quite some time. We set up a fundraising page with a goal of $1000, so pop on over and give what you can. Everything helps!

There is so much more that can be done. So please check out your options and do what you can.

post signature

1 comment:

this One's for the girls said...

Our church's children's pastor (and wife and their five kids) are serving there for three months. They're in Hinche, further away from PaP, and they and our siser church are okay. But everyone has at least one relative killed or affected. Thanks for doing your part to help through the blog.
Nancy

Related Posts with Thumbnails