June 02, 2009

Better Tuesdays: The Party's Just Getting Started!


By now you've heard allll about the American Heart Association's Go Red for Women BetterU campaign and how the MamaLaw ladies, along with author Joshilyn Jackson, were chosen to be the BetterU Bloggers. We've talked about it, thought about, and taken health assessments in preparation for it and we've even started making small changes in anticipation of it. The campaign officially launched yesterday, June 1, and so we are in Week 1!

I downloaded the BetterU coaching tool to my laptop because really, I need all the help I can get. I logged in yesterday and set my goals for the week. As a matter of fact, I have two:
  1. To find one 30 minute block each day this week, and turn it into physically active time. I know myself and realized that I needed something even more concrete than this, so I chose a specific timeframe and a specific activity to fulfill this goal. My daily schedule is already beyond hectic, so it was hard coming up with a time of day that would be ideal. I ended up settling on 7:15pm - 7:45pm because at that time, I am home from work and should have had the chance to prepare and eat dinner with the family. That's also (generally) the time when Hubby gives the kids a bath, so I am going to make that my cue to squeeze in my workout. It worked well yesterday! It also wasn't so late that I was ready to crawl into bed. The workout I started is the Family Circle Walking Challenge (incidentally, I just realized that it's done in conjuntion with the AHA - I had no idea!) I like this fitness plan because you can customize it to your level and it increases in intensity as you progress. I was proud of myself for completing the workout, even though I was winded as can be. I figure it can only get better from here!

  2. To enter my daily food and activity points into Weight Watchers online every day. It's time to 'fess up: I have been signed up with WW since November (?????) and have been woefully lazy about entering my points. So of course, I have not been sticking to my allotted food intake and naturally, I have not been losing any weight. ENTER MY POINTS. STAY IN THE RANGE. LOSE WEIGHT. It's not rocket science, Fergie. Just do it. So I entered in all of my points yesterday and learned that I came in 1 point under my allotted points for the day! Trust me, it's a reason for celebration because that never happens. I ate yogurt and a peach for breakfast; baby carrots and Oreo cakesters 100 calorie pack for a snack (shoot me); a Lean Cuisine and a clementine for lunch; a pork chop and spinach for dinner; a WW Turtle ice cream sundae for dessert (which was fab.u.lous, btw). So yay me on the WW front too. I have to admit that I felt bad eating the pork chop (I am going to try to cut out pork to improve my heart health) but it was the meat we had left in the freezer. So no more pork chops from now on.

If I can keep up this pace for the rest of Week 1, I'll be off to a great start! Sign up today to join us in becoming a BetterU and make sure to check out Joshilyn's Week 1 progress too; apparently it involves a terrfying brush with candy corn.






post signature

3 comments:

Justice Ny said...

Go Fergie! I'm so proud of you. I was so crazy busy yesterday that I didn't get a chance to set my goals for the week. But I'll do it today. I'm going to take a look at that walking plan because that's been my biggest challenge thus far - squeezing in some exercise.

Justice Fergie said...

*I should have noted that I'm using the Family Circle Walking Challenge plan taken from the actual magazine. I can't seem to find the plan I'm using online...It's different.

Urban Earthworm said...

I started Better Tuesdays on my blog, too (http://cheapwineandcookies.blogspot.com/2009/06/better-tuesdays-healthy-dinners-muscle.html)!

Thank you for having it. I love all your posts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails