May 03, 2009

A Visit From the Marriage Fairy


I just opened an Evite from a good friend of mine inviting me to her tenth anniversary party. I can't believe it! Ten years seems like - er- a decade to me, or at least a very, very long time. What makes it more impressive is that she is my age. Her and her husband married very young - before or during college, I think. Anyway, they are really a model couple. They are 100% supportive of each other in every endeavor, they have 2 beautiful daughters and they seem genuinely in love. When I come across couples like this (I recently met another remarkable couple while visiting the Jonesies) I always like to ask: "What is the secret?" Because I know there has to be one. The answer I usually get is: "make sure you stay friends" or "keep each other laughing" or (one of my favorites) "shower together every day." I often wonder if it really is just that simple. Hubby and I celebrated 5 years last October and goodness knows I have not figured out what the secret is. I often hear too, that once you make it to 7 years then it's smooth sailing. Maybe when you hit that 7th year you get a visit from the Marriage Fairy and she sprinkles some enchanted dust on you.
Yes. That's it. I am going with that theory. Fairies and marriage dust. It makes perfect sense and all that rubbish about "working hard at it" is just that . Now if only the Make Baby Sleep Through The Night Fairy would pay me a visit. Then we'd be getting somewhere.


post signature



5 comments:

Justice Ny said...

I ask for that secret all the time - say this morning, for instance! Jonesie will have to share her secrets with us.

Congratulations to your friend.

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

My aunt is a marriage counselor and she always (anecdotally) says that its the 7 years that are the hardest--7, 14, 21...so maybe you're right and once you get to (and past!) 7 it's smooth sailing for another 7!

www.JusticeJonesie.com/blog said...

The fifth year was the hardest for us. We had three kids under the age of four and that just didn't make it easier. But I agree that showering is a great way to stay bonded with your husband. Car pooling to work is also another one. We're up on nine years this summer and I can hardly believe it. I will feel a sense of accomplishment when we get to ten. As for my friends that you met, they truly put their selfish needs aside and do what it takes to make the other one happy. That's a win/win situation.

Urban Earthworm said...

Too Funny, and, I think, completely accurate. We've only been happily married since August, but showering together works so far . . .

Cher said...

My "secret" for a happy marriage is creative dating and romance (OFTEN). I find that keeping things fresh in my relationship make our marriage sooo much better! My blog is devoted to creative romance ideas for couples, you girls will have to check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails