September 04, 2008

What Is Your Six Word Memoir?

UPDATED: Thanks for submitting your memoirs, these are really good!

If you had to tell someone who you were, or summarize experiences of what has shaped your life, your personality, or you in general could you do that? Better yet, could you do it only six words? A friend of mine introduced me to a book entitled, Not Quite What I was Planning: Six Word Memoirs from Writers Famous and Obscure. The concept is really neat, and once you learn about it, you'll want to write your own six word memoir and also ask others around what theirs would be.

Your six word memo must be just that, a six word story. Some of my favorite six word memoirs listed on the Editor's website include:

"Trying Not To Repeat Stupid Mistakes."
"Not quite what I was planning."
"For sale: baby shoes, never worn."
“I like big butts, can’t lie.”
"Searched for Gold. Returned with Diamonds."

Here is my six word memoir:

"Someone will find this story funny."

What is yours?

14 comments:

A Shorter Mama said...

Here's mine:
"Baby Bunching isn't for the weak."

"Yes I think we are done" (having kids:)

"2 under 2 defines my life"

Justice Fergie said...

OK Wait! I like these:

"You only live once. Carpe Diem."

"What are we doing today, Mommy?"

"We're moving to Atlanta. Really though."

And...

"Don't know how I do it!"

(to answer the #1 question I get asked!)

Anonymous said...

"ride till the wheels fall off!"

it's an abbreviated quote from comedian martin lawrence. yes, i realize i just quoted martin lawrence. haha...

Justice Ny said...

Here's mine: "I don't know what I'm doing!"

I've cheated by using abbreviations but I swear - I ask that question EVERY single day.

www.JusticeJonesie.com/blog said...

These are all really cool. Keep sharing! And you can use abbreviations and punctuation marks as you please.

Unknown said...

I'm every woman, no every mommy.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

What a great way to look at yourself!

Mine... Hmm. I've struggled with this one. Six words is hard for someone who writes novels!

~*This Mama*~ said...

Mine is:

"I'm just listening for my name."

bill cosby

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Mine: "They grew up way too soon!" (Wah, wah, wah!) Thanks for stopping by my blog today and leaving a comment. I'm honored. Your girls are adorable. You know, they say it takes three weeks to build/break a habit; maybe if you gave the little one three weeks, she'd be adjusted to school? On the other hand, always listen to your "inner mom."

Anonymous said...

Good one! I did this meme a while back and only came up with "monument to determination." I know, totally lame.

Anonymous said...

Can I do two...ok, I'm doing 2 :-)

"Never a dull moment over here"

and

"I can't make this stuff up!"

Lizzi said...

"Do I have any clean underwear?"

www.JusticeJonesie.com/blog said...

I made up several more myself.

"Someone pass me a drink, please."
"Oh my gosh, what happened here!"

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I made my seniors do these a few weeks ago! They're calling them the "new American haiku". Aren't you on the literary cutting edge? :)

The one I did for myself that I gave my students as an example was "Minivan mom dreams of driving Prius"

Related Posts with Thumbnails