March 28, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday

Here's one to keep for a rainy day, or spring break, or both...

If we're cooped up in the house and the kids (namely Oldest) are bouncing off of the walls, I rely on my trusty "toy stash" to save the day. My kids receive entirely too many toys and gadgets as gifts and party favors, etc., and so I usually make an effort to ration them. [Sounds mean, doesn't it?] I put "extra" toys on the top shelf of our linen closet and pull one out every now and then. It's a great distraction when cabin fever sets in and a much smarter use of the tons of toys they get (as opposed to them all ending up on the floor in pieces after 48 hours). Sometimes even I'm pleasantly surprised at what's stashed up there. Just yesterday I remembered that one of the things I have hidden is a box set of board books with an accompanying CD. Cool. And the toys don't even have to be extravagant - a Dora lip gloss or a 99 cent paddleball toy has brought just as much happiness to my household as much an pop-up dollhouse or fingerpaint set. The key is not to let the young'uns know where the stash is :-)

Bonus: Having this hidden loot also makes mom a superhero when boredom sets in. Good for the ego.

Works for me!

Visit Rocks In My Dryer for more spring tips.


4 comments:

My Trendy Tykes said...

Great tip!
Thanks for sharing.

Linda

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I love having a secret stash. Right now I have a secret stash of Ding Dongs, but I'm not sharing! ;)

Good idea, I'll have to implement this one.

Kacey said...

It's also great to use those "secret" things for long car trips. Giving them something that they have never seen before can make the time pass a lot easier! Thanks for sharing!

Alexandra said...

Rationing is not mean, it's smart. We do something similar - toy rotation. It keeps thinks fresh for them.

Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

You've got a tough job being an attorney and mother! You must have a lot of energy...give me a little, please. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails