March 24, 2010

If I had a life coach...


Yesterday, I received an invitation to apply for an important job. Although it’s just an invitation to apply, and not an offer itself, it’s a pretty big deal that my name was thrown in the pot of possible candidates. The position could be pretty influential in terms of doing good for the community and the city and it could be a great career move for me as well. So, why am I not excited? I shared with hubby and he was very pleased and excited by the opportunity, but I’m pretty torn.

First, I’m torn because I don’t feel the same way as hubby and I don’t think I’m up for the ensuing argument. He thinks it presents a great opportunity while I don’t. He wants to see me succeed but I don’t think he’s entertaining anything less the traditional route. Second, my life’s plan was to transition out of the working-for-someone-else workforce and into the owning-my-own-business workforce by the end of the year, so I wasn’t even thinking about exploring new opportunities. Third, as I encounter more and more issues with princess and we embark on her school career, I feel like more parental involvement is needed, not less, and I think this position will be all-consuming. Last, with all the many things going on in my life, I feel like transitioning to a new job is NOT what I should be doing right now.

Yet, it is a great opportunity and I believe that everything happens for a reason and I don't want to regret passing on the opportunity. I don't know what to do. I feel pretty conflicted and I wish my life coach would help me figure it out - that is, if I had one!


5 comments:

DemMom said...

Ugh, I hear ya. If faced with the same situation my hubby and I would have the same differing opinions as you two. My "New Years Resolution" this year was to figure out what I want to do with my life, so that I can take steps to do it before our youngest starts school. I haven't figured it out yet, but like you, it doesn't involve working for someone else. Good luck. You could just apply, and figure it out when/if you have to.

www.JusticeJonesie.com/blog said...

Congrats on the opportunity!I'm with DemMom on this one. Apply then figure it out when it's really time too.

Parental Revelations said...

If it is one thing that I have learned over the years is that men and women see opportunities differently. As a mom, I automatically think of my child and what/how this will affect her. Then I go back and forth in my head the pros/cons. Men tend to analyze on the spot and make the decision (good or bad) on the spot.

I am not saying that is a bad thing, but it sure makes use different creatures, especially when we are moms! I too am at a cross roads of wanting to transition into being a business owner instead of working for someone else. And the decision has come up several times about going on to another job. But I have turned those options down (and have felt awful afterwards for not trying).

Now I look back on them and I can smile and with pray say that I am slowly reaching my path to my destiny. This is in no way, advise to you for your opportunity. But what I can suggest to you is sit in a quite place, talk to God about your opportunity and see what advise her has. Also, make out a list of pros and cons for this position, then draw out your person road map to reaching yuor ultimate goal of being self employed. In that road map see if it is room to squeeze this oppt in, in order to get you where you want to be!

I hope that this helps you, a little!

Blessing Be Unto You and Yours!

Peter and Nancy said...

I've often wished I had more than one life -- there are so many things I want to do. But I know I can't do them all at the same time . . . Maybe you can find a way to serve in the same area when you have your own business rolling? My husband always says not to settle for "really good" instead of going for God's best for your life.

Meanwhile, congratulations on being named as a contender!
Nancy

LaurenE said...

I agree! Interview and if they make you an offer, then decide. Jobs are like shoes- it doesn't hurt to have PLENTY of options. Congrats Ny!

Related Posts with Thumbnails