December 17, 2009

Smart Cookie Tip Exchange #3 - $hop $mart

I love nice things - who doesn't, right. Christmas time is especially difficult because I want to get nice gifts for everyone (and myself too) but after I make a list, I'm broke.

So, here are a couple tips that may work for you:

1. Give presents to families rather than individuals. You may find it much smarter to give a present that the entire family can enjoy rather than buying 4 or 5 separate gifts for kids and parents (if you're so inclined). So maybe give your family friends a dvd pack of family movies or large basket of goodies.

2. Save for yourself while shopping for others. This is a great strategy for kids shopping. I buy most of Princess' clothes at Gymboree and for most of the month of December a member can earn Gymbucks - a program whereby every $50 spent entitles you to a certificate worth $25 which is redeemable at a specified time in January. So, I don't get any clothes for princess in November or December and buy clothes as Christmas presents for the kids on my list, and then I return in January to get stuff for princess. So, I get a savings for stuff I would have had to get anyway. (BTW, to all my personal friends, your kids are getting clothes from me AGAIN this year).


What are your shopping tips or strategy?


post signature

2 comments:

Krystal Grant said...

So sorry to say I have no shopping strategies. I really suck at shopping for other people, even my children and husband. I can never decide what is the best thing to buy for them. But when it comes to shopping for myself....I have it all covered! I can go in a store and within 15 minutes tried on and purchased an entire outfit!

Peter and Nancy said...

I'm a big fan of the family gift too!

I always look at places like TJ Maxx first -- they carry good name brands at a great discount, and the one by us has great toys too (I've found brands like Chicco, Melissa & Doug, etc.). Then, if I can't find it there, I look at other stores. My only strategy is "Paying full price is for sissies!" :o)
Nancy

Related Posts with Thumbnails