May 15, 2009

Rollin' with the DC Metro Moms


Last week I had the privilege of attending two awesome events with my fellow DC Metro Mom bloggers. First, let me say that the DCMMB crew rocks. The personalities are fabulous, there are jokes aplenty and a good time is sure to be had by all when everyone gets together.

On Monday we were invited to a party, graciously hosted just for us by Quaker Oats, at Good Stuff Eatery. While that would have been reason enough to celebrate, the cool-factor of the event shot through the roof when we learned that the restaurant's owner, Chef Spike from Bravo TV's Top Chef series was going to be hanging out with us! You know how much I love Top Chef and so the chance to meet Chef Spike in person was beyond amazing. He was funny, friendly and down-to-earth - just as I expected!



Later on in the week were invited to a luncheon at PBS headquarters to meet with the big dogs behind the hit kids' show SUPER WHY. The PBS crew couldn't have been better hosts. Right off of the elevator, I was greeted by Clifford the Big Red Dog and got to enjoy a delicious lunch in the company of, of course, the rockin' DCMMB bunch and SUPER WHY Creator and Executive Producer, Angela C. Santomero, and Lesli Rotenberg, PBS' Senior Vice President of Children's Media. The event was held to share the research and development of PBS KIDS shows like SUPER WHY, one of PBS KIDS most popular shows for preschoolers. You can read all about our visit to PBS here, but one thing I must say is that I was struck by how much careful thought and research goes to into every second of the SUPER WHY show. If you are a parent of a preschooler wondering what channel to turn the TV to for your little one, you can rest assured that the brains (and moms) behind the PBS Kids programming have the best interests of your little ones first and foremost in their minds. The visit, presentation, and discussion made a huge impression on me and it's for that reason - and not because of the generous swag bags that they sent us home with - that I have become a total PBS Kids cheerleader in my home. Not only for the television shows, but also for the educational and entertaining content that is provided online at PBSKids.org The website is uber kid-friendly, interactive and has a ton of great games, quizzes and activites for kids to do. I had to drag Chatterbox away from my laptop (it's Mommy's turn now!) last night because she was so into playing the SUPER WHY games. And that's not all - now you can download their at-home educational curriculum chock-full of fun learning activities to do with your preschooler called Learning With SUPER WHY, right here.

I remember growing up on PBS (Sesame Street, Reading Rainbow, Mr. Rogers - the whole deal) and so I am quite comforted and touched by the fact that my kids will, hopefully, have an affinity for PBS too.

post signature

4 comments:

Justice Ny said...

You're doing big things!!!

Daughter watches PBS in the morning - Martha Speaks and Word Girl rock. And, she asks for pbskids by name when it's time for her to "work". The site has a lot of great activities to keep them busy for at least 20 minutes at a time.

bonggamom said...

Thanks for the great recap -- it's really getting me excited for the SV Moms Super Why event here in Silicon Valley!

Jenjen @GottaLoveMom said...

I miss the moments when my kids use to watch Sesame Street!
I'll go check out SUPERWHY now..

Have a great weekend!

CG said...

How cool! And what a cute picture! Did not realize you were in DC!! I grew up in Silver Spring MD...my parents are DC natives! Next time I am "home" I'll holla!

Related Posts with Thumbnails