May 21, 2009

Product Review: Pub Corn

It's no secret that I love popcorn (kettle corn is my absolute favorite) and I like to enjoy a yummy cocktail every now and then (my new favorite is this fabulous grapefruit, rosemary concoction that I had in Seattle at Ray's Boathouse). So. Good. So, imagine my delight when I received an invitation to try out popcorn that tastes like drink cocktails! Now this is a product review that was right up my alley.

I guess first I should give you some background as to why the heck someone thought liquor-flavored popcorn was a good idea. Basically, Cary Silverman, a senior business student at the University of Missouri (hey Anheuser-Bush territory, no? Maybe it was in his blood), is the inventor and founder of Pub-Corn. The idea for this tasty treat came to him when he saw some college kids sneaking liquor into the movies. Apparently Americans consume 16 billion pounds of popcorn and spend almost $100 billion on beer and liquor each year, so it was a combination that made sense. He wanted to capture the refreshment of a frosty lager or the delicious taste of your favorite cocktail in a convenient, crunchy snack.

And so my convenient, crunchy shipment of Pub-Corn arrived in the mail and I tore into it right away. Pub-Corn comes in 4 different flavors: Beer, Irish Cream, Pina Colada and Margarita. [FYI - the Margarita flavor wasn't included in my sampling pack so I can't speak to that one] I started with the Pina Colada and was pleasantly surprised. The popcorn is crunchy and light and the flavor is distinct, but not overbearing. And it really does taste like a pina colada. The Irish cream flavor was good too and a favorite of Chatterbox's (could be problematic). I only ate a few of the beer-flavored popcorn, namely because I hate beer and so I figured (and was right) that I wouldn't be a fair judge of that one. I can say that it defintely tasted like beer though!

I liked the idea that Pub-Corn fills the need (and I use that word loosely) for an alcohol-like experience for those who may not be able to enjoy an actual beverage. For example, Cary ships Pub-Corn to truckers who would like to drink a beer but can't do so on the road, and to pregnant women who crave a cocktail but can't drink one. I also can see Pub-Corn being a fun party snack or a cute hostess gift.

So check out Pub-Corn and order yours today! You can sign up to be a Pub Crawler and receive FREE samples and a FREE mug and other special offers. You even request a specific flavor by emailing the company too.

Now if only someone would come up with a fat-free snack that tastes just like chocolate. Or hickory-smoked bacon. Or french bread smeared with brie. Then we'd be in business.

Check out Cary & Pub-Corn on CNN:



post signature

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails